"Enjoying the best of both worlds"
Nila Rosa
My real name is Veronica. The name Nila Rosa came from a project I had to do in college. We were to come up with a restaurant concept,name it, write a business plan for it,and come up with a menu. I dedicated the name to my Lola (grandmother). Nila in Tagalog means "their", so it means, "their rosa." I wanted the restaurant to be modern asian restaurant, yet feel like coming home to family. I love the name, so it stuck with me.
Background
My mother is from the Philippines and I embrace that part of my heritage and try to learn as much about it as I can. I haven't been back since I was very little, but the memories I made on our trips to the Philippines are still fresh. In fact, one of my favorite memories involves going to the markets. Who knew that years down the road, I would end up pursuing a career in food.
If you asked me where I grew up, I couldn't tell you. I was born in California and we moved to Saudi Arabia for a few years. We came back to the states, moved around a few times, and now I am currently living in Michigan(yeah, of all places). I do enjoy the fact that i've been able to meet so many different people from different places. I like to think it had a great influence on my wanting to make food my career.
Education
I graduated from an ACF accredited culinary school. I currently have two degrees- One in culinary arts and one in food & beverage management. While my true love is working with food, a little extra education never hurt anyone. In fact, I am currently looking at pursuing a masters in a related field. I guess i'm a glutton for punishment.
I'm quite fond of my education. It helped me to grow as a person,as a cook, and as an epicurean. It was certainly stressful. I don't recommend it to everyone, but for those who make it through, you will have a greater appreciation for the culinary world. I'm really not sure if I prefer hot food or pastries. While they are both different worlds, I enjoy both sides.
My writing and photos
I've never had formal training as a phtographer and writer. In fact, most of my writing does suck, but I know that as you keep doing something, you start to get better at it. I've always been a very artsy person and have done pretty well through grade school with drawing. I think I have decent amount of skill with a camera that I think comes from my experience with drawing. I try to do the best I can with my HP point and shoot camera and Michigan skies. Hopefully, through more and more posts, I will be able to improve as a writer,photographer, and epicurean.
A title that explains most of my life.
Nila Rosa
My real name is Veronica. The name Nila Rosa came from a project I had to do in college. We were to come up with a restaurant concept,name it, write a business plan for it,and come up with a menu. I dedicated the name to my Lola (grandmother). Nila in Tagalog means "their", so it means, "their rosa." I wanted the restaurant to be modern asian restaurant, yet feel like coming home to family. I love the name, so it stuck with me.
Background
My mother is from the Philippines and I embrace that part of my heritage and try to learn as much about it as I can. I haven't been back since I was very little, but the memories I made on our trips to the Philippines are still fresh. In fact, one of my favorite memories involves going to the markets. Who knew that years down the road, I would end up pursuing a career in food.
If you asked me where I grew up, I couldn't tell you. I was born in California and we moved to Saudi Arabia for a few years. We came back to the states, moved around a few times, and now I am currently living in Michigan(yeah, of all places). I do enjoy the fact that i've been able to meet so many different people from different places. I like to think it had a great influence on my wanting to make food my career.
Education
I graduated from an ACF accredited culinary school. I currently have two degrees- One in culinary arts and one in food & beverage management. While my true love is working with food, a little extra education never hurt anyone. In fact, I am currently looking at pursuing a masters in a related field. I guess i'm a glutton for punishment.
I'm quite fond of my education. It helped me to grow as a person,as a cook, and as an epicurean. It was certainly stressful. I don't recommend it to everyone, but for those who make it through, you will have a greater appreciation for the culinary world. I'm really not sure if I prefer hot food or pastries. While they are both different worlds, I enjoy both sides.
My writing and photos
I've never had formal training as a phtographer and writer. In fact, most of my writing does suck, but I know that as you keep doing something, you start to get better at it. I've always been a very artsy person and have done pretty well through grade school with drawing. I think I have decent amount of skill with a camera that I think comes from my experience with drawing. I try to do the best I can with my HP point and shoot camera and Michigan skies. Hopefully, through more and more posts, I will be able to improve as a writer,photographer, and epicurean.